Thursday, March 19, 2009

National Portrait Gallery







I visited the National Portrait Gallery today in Washington D.C. and saw the gorgeous Portraiture Now exhibit titled Feature Photography. It is a collection of photographs by 6 photographers who work on assignment for major publications around the country (in order of the pictures posted above): Katy Grannan, Martin Schoeller, Jocelyn Lee, Alec Soth, Steve Pyke and Ryan McGinley.

I will never get tired of portraiture. No matter how simple they may seem at first, there is so much expression in the contours of a face. I love wrinkles, lips, the corners of mouths and cheeks when someone is grinning from ear to ear.

(The second photograph in this post is of the artist Cindy Sherman, who is well known for her portraits in which she takes on different female personas. When I first encountered this photograph, I had no idea who it was! It is embarassing to say, but I really thought it was an image of Glenn Close. It was interesting, considering Sherman's body of work are mainly photographs of herself. Just goes to show how successful her costumes and disguises, of sorts, are.)

Images found here

No comments:

Post a Comment