Sunday, March 29, 2009

William Eggleston


This is one of my favorite photographs of all time. The lighting, the feeling you get when you fly. All captured in this photo. I remember the first time I was on an airplane when I was 5. We were going to visit my Aunt in Chicago. I was terrified. But the instant I got on the plane and the flight attendant gave me soda and a pair of gold wings to put on my shirt, i was hooked. I was pretty easy to please.

The Whitney Museum here in NY recently had a retrospective of Eggleston's work. I love the beautiful simplicity in all of his photographs. They have soul, as well as comment on the time and place. This week's NYTimes book review had a photo of his on the cover. It is incredibly relevant to the world we are living in today.

The article that was written in correspondence to it is quite interesting if you get a chance.

“Wells Tower makes me think that nothing bizarre someone might dream up could ever be as strange as American life as we live it,” White writes in his review. “The ‘beyond’ that the Surrealists talked about so much, the au-delĂ , is America itself.”

Read the response to the photograph here

No comments:

Post a Comment